OVERVIEW OF LENÇOIS
A fantastic rock formation, a system of quartz caves with crystal clear lakes and underground rivers, and you have the setting for some of the wildest eco-adventures in Brazil. Add in an historical diamond boom, prospectors, natural monuments and you have the 152,000 hectares of Chapada Diamantina national park in the northeast state of Bahia.
People come in search of the charm of Lençóis, the hospitality of its people, the many options of its bars and restaurants with regional and international menus – but principally to go on marvelous walks along rivers, swim in waterfalls, with a landscape of mountains, caverns and green valleys scattered all around the region – sites that offer diverse options for adventures, including trekking, climbing, and rappelling.
Chapada Diamantina, this is also Vale do Capão, a picturesque village in the heart of the National park. A very special place with a strong energy. It is where start several treks as The Fumaça falls, and the Vale do Pati.
WHEN TO GO
It is always possible to go to Chapada Diamantina. The summer is a rainy season (November to January) can make muddy tracks, but leave the most torrential waterfalls. Between March and May, passed the summer rains, you will find the greenest Chapada; and between May and September, is unlikely to catch some rain.
The middle of the year – from May to September – is also the time when, on clear days, the “Gruta Azul”, “Poço Azul” and the “Poço Encantado” given the incidence of sun rays that offer their clear blue waters.
It is at about 450 km away from Salvador. We can get there either by plane (quite expensive) or by car or executive buses.
There are 2 main destinations, Lençois and Vale do Capão. Lençois is easy to reach by bus with direct buses from Salvador. Vale do Capão is slightly more complicated as you will have to go through Palmeiras on asphalted road and then get a 30 kms dirt road before to get to destination.
The airport Horacio de Matos (LEC), in the municipality of Lençois, receives regular flights from Salvador and is 20 km from the city center.
They are flights on Thursdays and Sundays
SSA output: 13h33 / LEC Arrival: 14:40
LEC output: 15.05 / SSA Arrival: 16h06
By car you will have more freedom to organize your own itinerary, but to make better use of your time trace your route in advance, bring a map of roads and / or GPS.
Contract a driver to guide you to your destination or go by executive bus with 4 departures per day.
WHAT TO DO IN LENÇOIS
Who begins to study the Chapada Diamantina soon realizes that … won´t be able to do it all. It is difficult to take a long vacation enough to enjoy so many waterfalls, caves, wells, small rivers, treks and picturesque towns on a journey.
But do not worry. If the Chapada is your stuff, you will return again and again.
A first foray, choose the base that provides the experiences that best fit your profile, eventually supplementing with one or two-night stay in a second base, a point opposite to the park. We will suggest to go to Lençois and Vale do Capão.
Below is the description of available tours in Chapada Diamantina.
What to consider before traveling?
- Pay by credit or debit card is not a problem for those visiting Lençois as many establishments accept cards.
- In Vale do Capão, it is another story, bring cash money, there is no cash machine and not many shops or restaurant which has credit card terminal.
- The village of Lençois has ATMs (Banco do Brasil in the main square). Bring cash if you go to Vale do Capão.
- If traveling during the rainy season, expect to find mud puddles on the streets and it might be quite dusty in the dry season.
- Do not forget to pack the sunscreen and a hat or cap. The sun of Chapada diamantina is very strong, so be careful with burns.
List of material to bring for trekking:
- Backpack to carry your belongings (including snack when provided by us)
- Camera -Raincoat
- Hiking boots or sneakers
- Light clothes for walking
- Money if you want some option like zip lining, rappelling, soft drinks or souvenirs
- Cap or hat
- Specific medics
- Light jacket for the day and one for the nights which can be colder.